Occupational Licensing Photograph Requirements
(Important Note: The department will perform on-site inspections to confirm the contents of photographs as deemed necessary. Submission of fraudulent application form(s) and/or photograph(s) is grounds to refuse to issue this and any subsequent license.)
- Photographs must be clear enough to ensure compliance with requirements.
- Each photograph must be dated and signed.
- Photographs must be attached to a sheet of paper, labeled and numbered according to directions below.
|License Type||Photograph Requirements|
|Wholesale Only Dealer||Office and Location|
|New Vehicle Dealer||Office, Sign and Display Area|
|Non Retail – Auto Broker||Office, Sign and Location|
|Used Vehicle Dealer||Office, Sign and Display Area|
|Dismantler||Office, Sign and Location|
|Driving School||Office, Sign and Location|
|Traffic Violator School||Office, Sign and Location|
|Driving/Traffic Violator School Classroom||Location|
|Registration Service||Office, Sign and Location|
Directions for Photograph Requirements
Photographs must clearly show an established place of business set up to perform the duties required by the license type, including adequate, secure storage for accountable materials and customer records (paper or electronic).
- A full photograph from the entrance to the back wall which includes both side walls.
- A full photograph from the back wall to the entrance includes both side walls.
- Exclusive Office Use: Business involving vehicles or their component parts must be conducted separate from other types of business. Provide photographs that clearly show the physical division between business involving vehicles or their component parts. California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 1670
- Photograph of the office entrance which includes the office address from the outside of the building. (Note: See directions under SIGN for further directions if the address is not affixed near the office entrance or to the exterior of the building.)
- If the office entrance is not directly accessible from the exterior of the building, a photograph from the corridor showing the direct entrance to the office or residential office is also required.
Books and Records:
- Photograph(s) of where the books and records (including records obtained or retained electronically) which are pertinent to the type of business being conducted are kept. CVC Section 320
Sign (in the name of the business as it appears on the application):
- Photograph(s) must clearly show a sign permanently affixed to the exterior of the building, visible from fifty (50) feet. If the address is not visible on the exterior of the building, then it must appear on the sign.
- If less than fifty (50) A photograph of the sign from the nearest public entrance to the property.
- If sign cannot be posted on the exterior of the building, the following pictures will be required:
- A picture of the lobby directory or other posted sign to direct customers to an office within the building.
- A picture of the sign posted on or near the office entrance door.
Vehicle Display Area
Photographs of the Complete Display Area:
- Photograph(s) must clearly show an area large enough for the type of vehicle(s) for sale and must be for the exclusive use of the licensee.
- Photograph(s) that shows the proximity of the display area(s) to the office. If the display area is not in the immediate adjacent vicinity of the office, another permanently installed sign is required to identify the business name and office address.
- Photograph(s) that includes display area sign(s). If utilizing designated parking spaces, a sign must be permanently installed designating the spaces for the exclusive use of the licensee (business name). The signs must be visible when vehicles are parked in the parking spaces to be acceptable. A copy of a contract or lease agreement for the spaces must be included with the application.
Photograph(s) must clearly show an area large enough for the purpose of dismantling, must have a separate distinguishable area for vehicles on hold, and must clearly indicate the property is exclusively used by the applicant.
- Photograph(s) must show the complete dismantling area, and proximity of the dismantling area(s) to the office. If the dismantling area is not in the immediate vicinity of the office, another permanently installed sign is required to identify the business name and office address.
- Photograph of holding area – 10 day Notice of Acquisition vehicles must be held in an area away from dismantling area.
- Applicant(s) must submit a photograph that clearly shows the place of business (exterior of building and/or property.
- Area designated for the licensed activity.
- Sign – See above section for requirements.